Join the Declaration
A worldwide commitment for the right to housing
The Declaration is based on a clear commitment to promote renewed housing strategies, and to do it in terms of social inclusion and human rights standards. Initiated by the City of Barcelona and promoted within UCLG by its Committee on Social Inclusion, Participatory Democracy and Human Rights, this global call for action builds on the #MakeTheShift campaign launched by the UN Rapporteur on Adequate Housing. It is particularly linked to concrete challenges pervading the realization of the right to housing, such as the lack of national funding, market deregulation and the commodification of housing.
Signatory cities, organizations and individuals share this common diagnosis. They also commit to implement local actions and policies to advance the right to housing.
Signatory local and regional governments may further join the global Community of Practice rallying cities for housing: a space within the World Organization of United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) to exchange experiences, elaborate policy recommendations and organize joint advocacy action.
The Community of Practice on Housing
The Community of Practice on Housing will be the space for signatory cities to transform the Declaration into concrete actions for the right to housing. The Community will work to:
- Identify main obstacles and opportunities for adequate housing policies, both in the Global North and South;
- Exchange, share and assess policies and practices aimed at fostering access to adequate housing for all;
- Promote successful policies and practices to tackle real estate speculation and guarantee the right to housing at international level;
- Develop joint advocacy strategies at the global level to advance the right to housing in international and national agendas, contributing to the #MakeTheShift campaign;
- Disseminate the Declaration among signatory cities’ partners and allies (networks, civil society, academia) in order to raise awareness and promote ownership of its content at the local level.
How to join the Declaration
Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Durban, Lisbon, London, Mexico City, Montreal, Montevideo, Plaine Commune, New York, Paris and Seoul are already part of this movement – and they need you too!
Local and regional governments
Please send an email to citiesforhousing.org to express your interest in joining the Declaration.
Following this initial email, you will receive a template formal letter to be signed by the Mayor or President of the government you represent. You will further be invited to join the community of practice by filling in an online form.
After that, your city will officially be part of the global movement of cities for the right to housing – and your name will appear on this website as a signatory local government.
Other organizations and institutions
Please send an email to citiesforhousing.org to express your interest in joining the Declaration. The message should include a formal letter by the head of the organization.
Please send an email to citiesforhousing.org to express your interest in joining the Declaration, including the name and title of the signatory person.